The Humane AI Pin is a new device that you can wear on your clothing and use to access various features and services powered by artificial intelligence. It was created by Humane, a startup founded by former Apple executives. The device costs $699, plus $24 monthly for unlimited calling, texting, and data through T-Mobile. It is expected to ship in early 2024.
Featuring a microphone, a speaker, a camera, and a laser projection system that can display a monochrome interface on your palm. You can interact with the device by voice, gesture, or touch. The device can do things like:
- Take photos and videos with a 12-megapixel camera that can also identify objects and people.
- Send and receive texts, emails, and calls with a built-in virtual assistant that can understand natural language and generate responses using ChatGPT.
- Search the web and access information from various sources, such as Wikipedia, Yelp, and Google Maps.
- Play music from Tidal, a streaming service that Humane has partnered with.
- Control smart home devices and other compatible gadgets via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.
- Project a “laser ink display” on your palm that can show basic UI elements, such as a circular media player, a scrolling wall of text, or a clock.
- Use hand gestures, such as tapping your fingers together, to navigate the interface or perform actions.
So how does it all come together? Through the power of its own operating system, called Cosmos, which is based on Android and integrates AI into every aspect of the user experience and is designed to be a “contextual computer” that adapts to your needs and preferences. It aims to reduce screen time and digital addiction, and to enhance your capabilities without overshadowing your humanity.
The device also claims to be a more secure and private device than your smartphone, as it does not store any personal data on the device or on the cloud. Instead, it uses a decentralized system called the Humane Network, which encrypts and distributes your data across multiple nodes that only you can access.
If you are curious about the Humane AI Pin, you can visit the company’s website to learn more or to pre-order the device on 16th of November, 2023.